Friday, December 19, 2014

5 Tips for Low Waste Gift Wrapping


I used to have a wrapping paper problem. Every year I would find the cutest holiday wrapping paper, which usually involved a furry animal and snowflakes, bring it home and wrap away without much thought. As Christmas gifts were opened my family would fill at least an entire garbage bag with wrapping paper, ribbons and bows.

This year I've been giving plenty of thought to how I can reduce waste during this gracious time of giving. Unwrapping a gift is fun for both the recipient and the person giving, so we won’t scrooge around and ditch wrapping all together, although that would be the most green solution.

Reusable bag is an easy solution to low waste gift wrapping via The Sunshine Grove
Make the wrapping part of the gift with a reusable bag.

1. When the wrapping is part of the gift, it is 100% waste free and a time saver. No need to wrap a bag in a bag, just add a tag and you are done. Think canvas bags or home sewn zipper bags that can be used as make up bags or pencil cases. If you have more than one gift for the recipient, fit it inside the bag and tie it off with a tag.

Kraft paper is a blank canvas - personalize the wrapping with a topper or get creative via The Sunshine Grove
Kraft paper is a blank canvas - personalize the wrapping with a topper or get creative

2. The clean and classic look of kraft paper or even reused paper bags is one of my favorites. If it is too plain for your style you can easily dress it up with a nature inspired topper or stamps. Dots with the back end of a pencil is an easy at home DIY. Best of all you can compost that trash!

Furoshiki wrapping cloths can be used to wrap just about anything
Furoshiki wrapping cloths can be used to wrap just about anything

3. Furoshiki is a Japanese wrapping cloth used to wrap all sorts of things. Traditionally it was used to wrap up clothes and bento box lunches, but nowadays is used to wrap up gifts in a way that can be reused over and over again without creating waste. No tape or ribbon needed since the fabric is tied together with folding and knots. Like origami, but with a surprise inside.

Reuse your Christmas bags again and again. Just remember to collect them once the gifts are open via The Sunshine Grove
Reuse your Christmas bags again and again. Just remember to collect them once the gifts are open

4. Last year’s holiday bags work great for this year’s gifts. As they unwrap their gifts, my family has been subjected to me shouting “Don’t throw the bag away. Give me the tissue paper. I’ll fold it.” As a result we have a stash of holiday bags and tissue paper from the last few years that we reuse so we avoid buying new bags.

If you have wrapping paper use it as your last option via The Sunshine Grove
If you have wrapping paper use it as your last option
5. Remember when I mentioned I used to collect cute holiday wrapping paper? Well I haven’t used it all. In fact I had 5 unused rolls laying around. The wrapping paper is only for gifts leaving our home, where I cannot control how it will be disposed of. That doesn't excuse the waste, just makes it someone else’s trash. TOTALLY KIDDING! Wrapping paper you have stashed away can be used and recycled, but consider a greener alternative when you run out.


2 comments:

  1. Great tips! My family are a little obsessed by re using wrapping paper, we are known to spend as much time carefuly peeling off the tape to reuse the paper as opening the present! Its nice though as there are bits of paper which have been about since I was very young, getting smaller every year mind you, but a nice reminder of Christmases past and one way of saving paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I'm so glad my family isn't the only ones! I made sure this year to save any tags we could reuse. My mom is a fan of bows so I collected those too. I love that you have wrapping paper to remember your past Christmases!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and chatting!