Monday, April 30, 2012

1960's Purple Bathroom

Walking through estate sales we see very unique homes. Sometimes it’s been an interesting room layout, tile and counters with gold glitter and of course pink and teal bathrooms. Most of the homes we enter are Ranch homes built between the 1950s and 1960s so we keep an open eye for pink stoves, teal bathtubs and even yellow kitchen sinks. All eye candy to us! 

Recently we were exploring the upstairs of a home and I happened to walk into the bathroom and immediately had a smile on my face. In front of me was a toilet and bathtub in purple! I had never seen bathroom fixtures in purple so I knew we had to capture them. I was glad Jeremy had his phone on him because luck would have it that I had left my camera at home.
There were no company markings that we could see on either fixture, but I did some investigating and found that the house was build in the early 1960s. The homeowner must not have loved the Mamie pink bathrooms of the time, or decided to go against the trend. Whatever the case, they are pretty awesome.


5 comments:

  1. a purple bathroom! That's pretty crazy!
    My husband and I bought a 1960s house to flip and the tub was turquoise and in great shape. It looked a lot like the tub you have photographed here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love all of the colors these Mid Century bathtubs, sinks and toilets came in? My grandparents still have their pink fixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen the purple either. Pink, blue, even green, but never purple. Wonder if it was a custom order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I've never seen green. Can't wait to be surprised by another vintage jem!

      Delete
  4. We bought our midcentury home over a year ago. Had ALL the original things including the purple tub and toilet. I searched for months to try to find a matching toilet lid and couldn't find anything that would match, so finally had it removed. HOWEVER, I didn't have the heart to change the tub. It will stay. I had it reglazed the exact same color purple. The guy thought we were crazy. And yes, the other bathroom is the hot pink.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and chatting!