Friday, August 31, 2012

A Place I Live: Eating Between Slices


Earlier this month I found out that August is National Sandwich Month. Being that I love sandwiches I decided to share two of my favorite places to go for a good bite to eat and two new places. Where's your favorite place for a sandwich?

6010 Ball Road
Buena Park, CA 90620
714-952-1658

This place is more than just a bagel shop. They have breakfast sandwiches with egg and ham served on your choice of bagel, different cream cheeses, muffins, house coffee and freshly squeezed juice. What I love ordering for lunch is the turkey sandwich on their crispy roll. The sandwich is filled with turkey, tomato, red onion, cheese and  topped with jalapenos, which I usually skip. The roll is what makes this sandwich so great. Picture a French roll with a delicious flaky top.
You really can’t go wrong with what you try here. The selection of bagels is great and the service is fast and friendly. The earlier you arrive, the larger selection there will be. And if you are a fan of New York style bagels, this one’s for you.



2175 W. Orange Ave
Anaheim, CA 92804

Since the 1960s Cortina’s has been a staple restaurant in West Anaheim. Very few times can you enter the restaurant and find it empty. They have good pizza, a fantastic antipasto salad and one of my favorite tiramisu desserts. They have such great food all around that sometimes I forget all about their fantastic sandwiches.
I usually order the turkey breast sandwich, which includes tomatoes, lettuce, onions and mayo on a French roll. The French roll is pretty tasty and loaded with fresh ingredients, but what really does it for me is the shredded lettuce. Jeremy’s favorite is the Cortina’s Special which includes a handful of Italian favorites like salami, capicolla, mortadella and provolone cheese also on a French roll.
Order wisely! The 6 inch is huge!

 
Gypsy Den
211 W Center St Promenade
Anaheim, CA 92805

I have to admit that I had never been to the Gypsy Den before they opened in Anaheim. We made it over to the brand spankin’ new restaurant on their third day of business and loved it so much that we came back two days later.
I had the Waldorf chicken salad sandwich which is served on a nice and buttery croissant with huge chunks of chicken and halves of grapes in just the right amount of mayo. The menu did say that there would be chunks of apple in the mix but I didn’t taste any. I was still very pleased with my sandwich.

I am a big fan of sweet potato so I had to try their sweet potato salad which was pretty tasty. I can also recommend the Mediterranean appetizer and their crème brulee. They also serve some craft beers and wine. My sister recently came to the Gypsy Den for breakfast and really enjoyed it so I will be trying their breakfast soon. Oh and did I mention that their wait staff is super friendly and great at making a recommendation?
 
Bruxie: Gourmet Waffle Sandwiches

292 North Glassell Street
Orange, CA 92866
Yes, yes and yes. I want to try every single item on the menu. Why it took me so long to find this Mecca of sandwiches I don’t know. All of Bruxie’s sandwiches are served on Belgium style waffles. I’m sure you are thinking these are only sweet waffle sandwiches – nope! They do serve delicious sounding sweet sandwiches like a PB&J but they also serve meat sandwiches and they are so good.
Here’s what we tried: I had the waffle and fried chicken sandwich which has a honey glaze to it. It is served with coleslaw in the sandwich, but since I’m not a big fan of slaw, I opted for none. I did add the Vermont maple syrup to my meal for the full experience. Trust when I say that waffle cut fries dipped in maple syrup is serious business. Jeremy tried their special which was a Carolina BBQ pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw. It was served with sauce on the side too so you could get as messy as you wanted. I had a bite and it was pretty good. My brother in law joined us and tried the turkey club sandwich which was packed with cold cuts and veggies including avocado.
The boys shared "Irish Nachos," waffle cut fries topped with a homemade cheese sauce, sour cream, chives and pieces of bacon. To wash it all down we had their artisan made sodas: vanilla cream, root beer and cherry cola. My favorite was the root beer. Sadly we were too full to try their frozen custard, but don’t worry, we will.



1 comment:

  1. So many sandwiches and so little time! But that waffle and fried chicken is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and chatting!